From March to November 2017, we will be featuring a series of weekly blog posts on our Inside Higher Ed column (and republished here) about sexual violence in higher education. We received many submissions to our call for blog posts on the topic, ranging from personal experiences to teaching about and doing research on sexual violence, from critiques of how universities facilitate sexual violence to recommendations for structural and cultural changes on campuses. We are especially pleased to note that this series is intersectional to its core, offering narratives that reflect on sexual violence as a manifestation not just of sexism, but also racism, cissexism, heterosexism, ableism, and fatphobia. Through this series, we aim to amplify the voices of survivors of sexual violence that occurs in academic contexts, to aggravate the academic status quo that facilitates sexual violence, and to advocate for meaningful change in classrooms, research, departments, and at conferences.
We will continue to log new blog posts here as the series proceeds in case you are unable to keep up, and so that you can refer back to the entire series in the future.
- Introductory blog post, “Amplifying the Voices of Sexual Violence Survivors” by Eric Anthony Grollman (3/3/17).
Teaching On/And Sexual Violence
- “Teaching Rape Culture” by Cat Pausé (3/10/17).
- “Teaching About Sexuality, Violence and Power” by Jamie L. Small (3/17/17).
Failures of Title IX Policy and Programming
- “The Silencing of Sexual Violence Survivors” (regarding nondisclosure agreements [NDAs]) by Sheila Liming (3/24/17).
You may also be interested in our past blog posts on or related to sexual violence in academia:
- “Planning To March For Science? Bring A Mirror.” by Eric Anthony Grollman (3/1/17).
- “When Your Work Becomes A Facebook Fight” by Nicole Bedera (11/11/16).
- “She Took A Stand Against Rape: My Love Letter To University of Richmond’s Sheroes” by Eric Anthony Grollman (10/26/16).
- “Opposition To ‘Trigger Warnings’ Reinforces The Status Quo” by Eric Anthony Grollman (10/18/16).
- “My University Failed Yet Another Rape Survivor And Protected Yet Another Rapist” by Eric Anthony Grollman (9/8/16).
- “Sexual Violence At The Sociology Conference” by Eric Anthony Grollman (8/31/16).
- “Sexual Violence: What I Have Learned (And Experienced?)” by Eric Anthony Grollman (1/11/14).
- “Academia Is A Warzone” by Eric Anthony Grollman (12/10/13).
- “This Is Not A Pity Party” by Eric Anthony Grollman (10/25/13).
- “A Space For Me In Feminist Activism?” by Eric Anthony Grollman (9/3/13).
- “On Racist And Sexist Discrimination In Academia” by Eric Anthony Grollman (9/2/13).
- “April Is Sexual Assault Awareness Month – Are We Aware Yet?” by Eric Anthony Grollman (4/22/13).
- “What Is Sexual Harassment? A Different Perspective” by Eric Anthony Grollman (10/15/12).
- “A Note On The Importance Of Discussing Sexual Violence In The Classroom” by Eric Anthony Grollman (5/14/10).